|Every robot must eventually find his dance partner. But must also keep the music coming.|
2013. Strong damn strong year in music and certainly the deepest in quite some time--hence my list of favorite songs from 2013 is a whopping THIRTY tracks. Yet as always, I make you my all killer, no filler guarantee.
A few notes about this list:
- The track order is randomized. While I will rank my choices for best albums in a given year, I don't have the patience or will in me to try to rank songs outside of maybe my favorite 3-4.
- Having said that, I can tell you that my song of the year for 2013 was "Letter of Intent" by Ducktails. A perfectly crafted song if I ever heard one--my Last.fm stats can attest to the fact that it was far away my most listened to song of 2013.
- Unlike many of the websites and lists you will read, I am a one-man semi-pro operation. I did NOT listen to everything that came out this year and thus my lists are composed of my "favorites" as opposed to some loosely conceived consensus on what the "best" music of the year was. There's a great chance I'll hear an amazing song from 2013 next month that I'll wish I'd heard before. But thems the damn breaks, eh?
- Four artists have more than one song on my list this year: Janelle Monáe, Glass Candy, Ducktails, and Foxygen.
- One album--Italians Do It Better's superb After Dark 2 by various artists--has four tracks on this list.
In the coming weeks we'll start analyzing and dissecting the best albums of the year. But for now, cozy that sweet ass of yours up to this loving playlist. It will do right by you.
There are TWO ways to listen to this playlist! The Spotify version of the playlist* is located directly below the track listing. Not a Spotify subscriber? No problem. Directly below the Spotify playlist, an 8tracks playlist (requiring no subscription) is also found below. Just press the 'play' button on the box and rock. (Works on computers or mobile devices.)
*Track 2, "Stuck Together Pieces" by Atoms for Peace, is currently unavailable on Spotify. It IS available on the 8tracks playlist below!