|Savages made it in to my record collection the old school way. They knocked me on my ass live. If you squint real hard, you can see me out in the audience. Knocked on my ass.|
The MJR Top 5 Albums of 2013 Weekly Standings*
*Spotify links provided when available
1. ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age (Last Week: 1)
2. After Dark 2 by Various Artists (Last Week: 2)
3. The Electric Lady by Janelle Monae (Last Week: 3)
4. AM by Arctic Monkeys (Last Week: 5)
5. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic by Foxygen (Last Week: NR)
Other 2013 Contenders (in no particular order)
- White Lighter by Typhoon (Last Week: 4)
- The Flower Lane by Ducktails (Last Week: 5)
- MCII by Mikal Cronin
- Amok by Atoms For Peace +
- Trouble Will Find Me by The National
- OutRun by Kavinsky
- Floating Coffin by Thee Oh Sees
- Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend
- Curiosity by Wampire
- Specter at the Feast by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Settle by Disclosure
- Thr!!!er by !!!
- Anxiety by Autre Ne Veut
- Mozes And The Firstborn by Mozes And The Firstborn
- Soft Will by Smith Westerns
- 180 by Palma Violets
- The Silver Gymnasium by Okkervil River
- Idle No More by King Khan And The Shrines
- The North Borders by Bonobo
- The Bones of What You Believe by Chvrches
Newly Added 2013 Contenders This Week:
- The Speed of Things by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- Silence Yourself by Savages
- Secret Songs: Reflections From the Ear Mirror by Nobunny
- Lousy With Sylvianbriar by Of Montreal
- Seasons Of Your Day by Mazzy Star
3 Thoughts/Facts/Opinions/Lies/Kneejerk Reactions to/about Music This Week
1. Potentially provocative observation that I actually don't intend to be: I never thought I would have so many female artists in my music collection. And while that may sound sexist, I can assure you that I've generally "gone" where I've been "lead" in terms of finding great music. For whatever reason, I'm finding more dynamic, daring, innovative, and plain damn good music from women than I ever have before.
2. I got married earlier this month and my lovely wife and I decided to make a mixed CD to give to guests. If you're interested, you can listen to it on this handy Spotify playlist. Fun (EASY) game: Guess which tracks are mine and which ones are hers. Side note: There is a palpable sense of personal victory I feel for finding a way to include a Desert Sessions song on my wedding mixed CD.
3. Now that the wedding and honeymoon are over, my other labor of love can begin--my year end music project. Best songs/best albums list-making bliss/misery/consternation. And mid-November is just about the time that all the work I've done up to this point keeping running lists and ratings gets shot to hell when I'm suddenly bombarded with tremendous albums I've managed to miss in 2013. I'm certain I'm not alone in this. Having said all that, PLEASE send great music my way that you think I've missed. I promise to only take 60% of the credit for finding it later.